- 1 can (400-450g) of condensed milk (see specialty ingredients section)
- Butter 100g (room temperature)
- Hazelnuts – 1/2 cup (optional)
(for cookie dough)
- Eggs – 2
- Butter – 250g (~2 sticks)
- Sugar (white or brown) – 1/2 cup
- Vanila extract – 1/2 tsp
- Flour – 600g
- Soda – 1/2 tbsp
- Vinegar or lemon juice 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
Note: you will also need a “Oreshnica” baking form for shells (see specialty ingredients section)
- Put cans of condensed milk in a large pot and add water. Bring water to boiling point and reduce the heat. Cans need to be boiled for 1-3 hours (note: duration depends on level of caramelization that you’d like to achieve). Continue to monitor level of water in the pot and add more hot water to ensure that cans stay covered the whole time. (!!!) Also make sure that you use “heavy duty” thick cans of condensed milk. Thin/easy to open cans may open during the boiling process.
- Let the cans cool down to room temperature. DO NOT attempt to open the cans while they are still hot!.. I feel like at this point I need to hire a lawyer to put some legal liability waiver/disclaimer here… 🙂 But I am sure that you guys are smart and will not do something stupid that could harm you. Once cooled open the cans and mix boiled condensed milk and mix it with butter (100g of butter per 400-450g of condensed milk). Your filling cream is DONE!
(dough for shells)
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix-in melted butter.
- Add flour. Make a small hole in the flour, put soda and vinegar into it. Wait until the bubbling stops and mix the dough.
- Spray “oreshnica” baking form with oil. Fill each section half-way with dough.
- Bake on top of the stove 2 min on one side and 2 min on another.
- Let the shells and cream cool. Fill the shells with cream and bind them together. (optional) You can add roasted hazelnut inside.